Monday, September 3, 2007

Fast approaching Fasting!

The second half of the month of Sha'aban in the Islamic calendar is rolling. In other words the holy month of Ramadhan (fasting) is approaching. People prepare for this month differently. Some start to panic and think about fasting and how its gonna be hard as if its the first time they fast. So they start to give more attention to food and drinks; I am not sure if this helps but I doubt it. Others feel good about Ramadhan and look forward to it hoping to gather its blessings and mercy. Some folks actually fast a few days in Sha'aban as it is the month that Prophet Mohammed peace be upon him fasted the most other than Ramadhan. Fasting a few days prior to Ramadhan is actually good preparation. I find it useful psychologically, spiritually, and physically. Ramadhan is very unique! apart from fasting we are expected to maximise in our prayers, reciting the holy Qur'an, be more generous to the needy, even the type of food prepared in this month is different. In order to get the most out of it we got to plan well and charge ourselves. Plan how much of the Qura'an I am gonna recite and how am gonna do it. How will I change my behaviour. Will I attend night prayers at the mosque. In addition, one needs to charge spiritually to gain momentum and fasting a few days in advance actually helps. Cut down on the sins; we are not perfect and we commit sins that we know we shouldn't. So we need to offload some bad deeds before setting to the fasting journey. And so on and so forth!!!!Well the bottom line is that am fasting today and its not that bad, may because i minimised activity for today hahah. I just made one quick run to the airport and that's it. After all I am fasting :) This is the excuse most of us will soon be using in Ramadhan when actually we should work hard and perform well to feel the hunger and thirst of the needy!! Unfortunately this year I didn't fast enough days of Sha'aban so I don't know if I will pass the test or not in Ramdhan. Lets pray for the best.
So guys you better start charging and get ready we are on final approach, fasten your seat belts and put your seats to normal positions. Hope you all know the safety procedures to survive any bumps while cruising through Ramadhan.
Have a blessed one.

No comments: